Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The TX Project

Several weeks ago, my sister emailed me and asked if I would come down to her place in Texas over the 4th of July weekend to help turn their computer/random room into a playroom for my 9 month old niece. How could I refuse?! Not only do I get to assist in a decluttering & reorganization project, but I get to see my sister, brother-in-law & seriously adorable niece? (side note: my sister said she has some blog ideas floating around so I'm hoping for her to do a guest blog soon!)

So the TX room project...

The story begins long, long ago when my sister used to bribe me with 7 month old Easter candy to clean her room. I always thought I got the better end of the deal since a.) I got candy b.) I was able to organize her stuff so it was easier for me to find & borrow. My sister got married in 2005, thus a pile addict married a stuff spreader (I'm not telling who is who). They've lived in their house about three years & their computer room became the catch-all for both piles & stuff spreading. They wanted to clean out the room & make it a playroom, but also knew that simultaneously trying to convince the other person to de-stuff, de-spread & de-pile might not be a good idea, so that's where I came in. I got real food this time & not just old Easter candy. Win!

I gave them a list of questions to start thinking about last week, and both were ready to dig in a clean out! They were extremely motivated to get the project done & I only had to pull out the drill sergeant card a few times. They did a great job! Even the cat got in on some of the fun.

First, the results by the numbers since I really like numbers-
  • 3 full bags of stuff to the trash
  • 2 bins of recycling (mostly paper)
  • 1 large bag of Goodwill donations
  • 3 items listed in Craigslist
  • 1 large box of books to go to Half Price Books
  • 3 recycled electronics items
  • 2 Best Buy buy-backs
  • 1 nasty broken chair to the trash!
And now the results by pictures-










2 comments:

  1. And it was a whole new room for $0.
    And it was fun and the room is super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little sister used to hoard old Halloween Candy as well. About a year ago my mom found an inventory that she was keeping...I guess she updated it weekly to make sure her sisters hadn't swiped a stale tootsie roll!

    Ha! Room looks good!

    ReplyDelete